Wednesday, July 15, 2009

VBS DAY 3: Hump Day closer to the end of it all




Hey this is Aaron giving you a little taste of our day.
What do I say, as Steve one of the leaders said, Wednesday is always a hard day, and it sure was. Halfway through bible school now, it gives us a feeling that we are all about to leave these kids and we may never even see them again. I feel like I'm finally getting to know all my kids!! I wish that i could spend more and more time with them every single day, no matter how annoying they may seem. Well, let me give you a quick run through of the day.
We woke up and ate breakfast :) I've been having trouble finding my sandals but I guess that's just me just plopping them down in our room and forgetting where i put them. lol. It's crazy how small the group of kids seems to be in the morning when we start vbs but by the end of the day, the numbers atleast double if not triple. The kids love recreation and snacks. For rec time, we played balloon tag and these kids played it with no mercy! It was a huge suprise if I saw a kid that still had his balloon by the end of the game. They love to run! Snack time was lots of fun for me today. I decided that i would see how fast the boys in my group really are. Big Mistake! They were way to quick for me, especially Leroy, the boy holding the heart in the top picture. The kids make me happy, in any situation. When I come back home, I will miss hearing the kids every day yelling, "Sir!" whenever they needed help. As we were finishing up vbs, a few of the youth girls lead about 3 songs with the kids which i thought was awesome, they were all having so much fun!
I had noticed a kid playing the piano every day, but today I found out his name was kwanzie and he had been playing piano 5 years! When I told him I play piano too, he ran over to the piano and said, "Play!" He was amazed by how far i could stretch my fingers across the piano. I cannot say it enough, I love these kids and miss them so much.
I know I'm dragging on so I will stop here. Know I love you all and can't wait to see you all again in only a little while.
Love,
Aaron




Hey guys, this is Becky.
So words can seriously not describe how amazing my experience has been here thus far, and the way each day has gone it is only going to get better these next two days. Nathan, Elizabeth, and I are on the same team and we are working with the youth. We have broken up the lessons amongst each other and today was Elizabeth's turn to teach. I was helping her prepare last night and she was getting a little nervous cause she had the biggest lesson just about.... Jesus' death on the cross. I told her if she needed help at all to talk about it I would jump right in.
The lesson begins today and I am helping Elizabeth here and there and the youth pay attention but talk to each other and giggle (same as back home) but only about 15 out of the 40 kids were actually looking at Elizabeth. Then she has Oneal (my favorite kid) read Isaiah 53:3-6. I jump up and give a cross talk. The Holy Spirit literally would not let me sit and let these kids miss out on what Jesus did for these kids. I spoke to them about how Jesus was despised and spat on and hated when he was crucified. I told them where Jesus was nailed on his body onto the cross. I had EVERY eye on me. I couldn't help but tear up that I was gifted with the chance to tell these kids that Jesus died for them! I called as many names out as I could remember saying "Shantel, if you were the only one here on earth, Jesus would die for you. Oneal, Jesus would have died just for you. Dante he would have died for you alone too. Desmund, Jesus would die for you if you were the only person on earth." I started to think of that for myself as well. Jesus would have died just for me. How can your life not be impacted by that?!
God is good all the time. Pray for my kids and me tomorrow. Tomorrow I am blowing off the planned lesson and giving them the plan of salvation. It would be a great loss to them and myself if I put it off any longer then tomorrow.
I can't wait to share all the videos and pics I have taken of these kids singing and dancing and having a great time! They've got ryyyyyyyyythm!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment